Doodle of the Day #3

Simple graphite sketch - A rough to be inked and painted with watercolour
Goodness it's been a long while since my last Doodle of the Day! I've been sketching, inking, and painting like a madwoman, but I've completely forgotten to stick them all up here! I think it's the summer heat and humidity that makes me so forgetful. Nothing quite like breathing in a gallon of hot water and sweating it back out again to make a person become a space cadet haha!
Apart from the heat, I've been really motivated to work on my art bit by bit, so I hope you enjoy the following spree of pieces that I've worked on over the last couple of months!


"MoonWalkers" - Made with ink
For a little while I was absolutely taken with the idea of creating video game characters. It was all I could think about and all I could draw. Every time I drew the same character from a different angle I just kept thinking how amazing it would be to see one of your own creations in a game!

"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." - Marilyn M. - Made with charcoal
 I am really quite happy with the way this portrait turned out! I tried to take a stab at charcoal drawings with a softer hand which is a very difficult task for me to do since I love drawing strictly in black and white. The highlights were definitely the most challenging part of this piece, but it felt oh so rewarding when I nailed them. I sent this to my mom when I was finished because like all other kids, I wanted it to have a prime spot on her fridge hahaha!




I apologize for this weird time warp to Christmas, but I wanted to show a sampling of just a few of the Christmas postcards that I made up this year. At Sekaido, they sell blank postcards with white fronts and filled in backs. I thought it would be so unique and so personal to send out my very own watercolour postcards to my loved ones so that's what I did. Being a nerd, many were Zelda themed or Gudetama themed... 

"Smoke in my rear view" - Made with charcoal 

"Find the dream in your nightmare" - Made with ink

"What's left to give to you?" - Made with charcoal

"Tokyo Train Kids" - Made with ink
 On my way to work one day, I saw these two kids on the train. One had the poofiest harem pants I had ever seen in my young life. To top it all off, there were adorned with fruit decals. Because poofy harem pants alone isn't enough of a statement... The girl next to him was so sleek. Honestly I want to become her in another life. She had a giant, over sized New Balance sweatshirt on, ripped black short-shorts, kitty cat headphones, and the shiniest, black hair in the world. She look like she had Tokyo wrapped up in her pocket. I saw them for the briefest of moments, but they left such an impression on me that I had to immortalize them in a drawing.

"Try Tokyo on for size" - Made with ink
Here's a little attempt at a self-portrait I did when I had some free time. I took an actual map of the area that I live in and scaled it down so that I could fit it onto this coat that I'm wearing in the picture. I think it turned out pretty rad and this piece was even featured in a JET art magazine which I urge you to check out if you are bored because there are some pretty talented artists in there!

So that's it for now. I have a few more paintings on the go and I will be sure to post them when they are finished (if they aren't heinous that is lol). With the summer festival season coming up, I've been having the urge to paint with more vivid colours so we shall see what I can cook up it the future. Wish me luck and a colourful time!

0 comments :